Whether you own a property or are renting one, one of your highest priorities is probably keeping the place where you live safe. This includes all loved ones and possessions inside your home, and it can seem like an uphill battle to stay one step ahead of thieves and other unscrupulous individuals.
Having a quality camera system is one way to make your home safer, as it allows you to see and be alerted to things that may otherwise go unnoticed. In this review for the Abode Cam 2, we will be covering this affordable yet robust little camera to show you why it would make an excellent addition to your home security system.
Overview Of Abode Cam 2
Abode Cam 2 | Indoor/Outdoor WiFi Connected Security Camera with Full Color Low-Light Video, Motion Detection, and Two-Way Voice
The Abode Cam 2 is a simple camera that nevertheless has some great features. It has been designed to work indoors and outdoors at your discretion. It’s easy to set up and also easy to use, and you have a few options for how you use your camera.
Even without an optional subscription, you can view the feed straight from your phone whenever you like. The optional subscriptions give you further options such as cloud saving of footage and more advanced alerts.
Throughout this review, we will take a deeper dive as we look at all the main features that the camera has to offer.
To have a visual representation of what the camera has to offer, you can check out this video overview created by Abode.
Importance Of Wifi Cameras In Home Security
Security cameras can be incredibly useful when it comes to home security. For a real example, you can picture hearing a noise outside your front door in the middle of the night. One way of dealing with this would be to open your door and take a peak, potentially exposing yourself to danger.
In the past, we have also covered the dangers of porch pirates and how you can deter them.
Or, you could simply pick up your smartphone and take a safe look outside your front door without even needing to leave your bed. That way, whether it’s actually a thief or maybe just an adventurous raccoon knocking over a flower pot you can be aware of the situation without finding out the hard way.
Wifi cameras will connect directly to your wifi system, and then you can access them with your smartphone for added convenience. Having at least one wifi camera will already make your awareness more robust, but having several can significantly improve your home safety.
For other ideas on how to improve your home security, you can check out this article on 4 ways to improve your home security.
Abode Cam 2
Abode Keypad 2 | Arm & Disarm Your System | Detect Motion | Get Your System Status at A Glance | Requires Abode Hub
Next, we will look at all the major features that this camera has in order to show you why it’s such a great addition to your security arsenal. They will also show why this camera is such a robust camera option despite its reasonable price point.
Key Features And Benefits
- Full Color Night VisionBeing able to see at night or in dark conditions is a must-have when it comes to security cameras. Most thieves will try their luck under cover of darkness, so it’s good to still have decent visibility even in poor lighting conditions.The camera will use ambient light to maximize visibility in lower light conditions, or you can switch to the crisper black and white full night vision.
- Two-Way Voice EnabledHaving two-way voice capabilities with your camera can have many uses. For example, it can turn your security camera into an everyday doorbell camera as well. You will be able to see who is at your door and ask them why they’re there if you don’t recognize them. That way you can determine if it’s perhaps an unexpected delivery or if they maybe have the wrong house without stopping what you’re doing.If it’s someone who may be trying to break in, you can talk to them through the camera. This will either spook them once they know they don’t have the element of surprise, or you can warn them that the police are on their way.These are two broad examples, but they show how this simple feature can be good for security or everyday use.
- Person, Package, And Pet DetectionThe camera has Abode’s Smart Detect feature, which can be very useful. No one likes to see an alert on their phone, only to find out that it’s the neighbor’s dog causing a false alarm that gives you a scare.The Smart Detect feature will be able to detect whether a package is being delivered or whether it’s a human or an animal. This way, you will immediately know what you’re dealing with.
- WeatherproofAs we mentioned previously, the camera can be used either indoors or outdoors. If you were to place it outdoors, it would be useless if some light rain would fry your new camera.Luckily, the Abode Cam 2 is weatherproof, so it should be safe to withstand most weather conditions.
- 24/7 Recorded VideoThe camera has a few options for how you can operate it. Without a subscription, you can set it up to receive alerts and view the feed whenever you want with your smartphone.With the added 24/7 recording feature through the Abode app, you can record footage to the cloud for review, and you will also have more control over alerts and detection. The added features aren’t required to use the camera, but it is great to have these added options if they would suit your situation.
The Abode Camera 2 is a small, simple device in appearance. It has a pleasing black-and-white squared design with a versatile mount. At 1.97 x 1.97 x 1.97″ and weighing 6.6 oz, it is small and compact, meaning it is less likely to draw attention.
The camera is powered by a 5V 2A DC USB port, and a wall adapter is included. It comes with a 6-foot cable to make installing it even easier.
Abode Cam 2 Setup And Installation
Setting up the Abode Cam 2 is simple to do. All you will need is to have the Abode app installed on your phone and then create an account. Then, power up the camera and then find it on the app. You will then connect it there and you should be good to go!
It should be as simple as that, but this guide by Abode goes into more detail if you run into any issues.
For a detailed look at how to install wireless security cameras, you can also look at this guide that we created on the subject.
Performance And Reliability
The simplicity of this camera works in its favor, as there is not much that can go wrong. Once you have set it up, you should have no problems with it as it does its job. Whether you place it in an indoor or outdoor setting, the camera should prove to be highly reliable with its detection.
The visuals are clear enough that you will easily be able to see what’s going on, and it can be used as an everyday convenience thanks to the two-way audio.
Pros And Cons
As we have seen so far in this review, the Abode Cam 2 has some great and useful features. It’s small, compact, and weatherproof, making it ideal for many settings. You also have clear vision in any lighting conditions, two-way audio, and detection settings.
We have mentioned that this camera is simple, and while that can be a strength it can also be a weakness to some. It does lack certain features that higher-end cameras have, and its resolution is pretty standard at 1080p.
To access all features, you will also need an extra paid subscription, however, it is certainly more than usable without it.
Customer Service And Support
Abode has a few ways that you can contact them on their contact page. Here, you will have options to contact them via email, web chat, or by phoning them directly. You can ask them for assistance with any problems or questions you may have, and this is the best way to address any hardware issues as well.
Does Abode Cam 2 Work With Homekit?
The Abode Cam 2 is not compatible with Homekit, at least currently.
How Is Abode Cam 2 Powered?
The camera is powered via a USB cable, but a wall adapter is included along with a 6-foot cord. It will need to be connected at all times, as there is no battery inside the camera.
Does Abode Cam 2 Require A Subscription?
The Abode Cam 2 does not require a subscription to function, as you can view the live feed and receive alerts without one. You will need a subscription for features such as cloud saving and advanced alerts, but these are extras that are not required.
Is Abode Cam 2 Wireless?
Apart from the wired power supply, the camera is wireless in terms of how it will access your internet connection. You can connect it directly to your wifi using the wireless functions.
What To Do If Abode Cam 2 Is Not Connecting?
If the camera is having a hard time connecting to the wifi connection, you can usually solve the issue by powering off the camera, leaving it for a minute, and then reconnecting.
If that does not solve the issue, then you can contact support to see if there is some other issue causing the problem.
Conclusion And Where To Buy
In conclusion, the Abode Cam 2 is an excellent entry-level camera for home security. It may lack some of the fancier bells and whistles of higher-end cameras, but it has everything you need to get you started, all at an affordable price point.
If you would like to purchase your own Abode Cam 2, you can do so via Abode’s website for $34.99.
You can also find it on Amazon for a slightly cheaper price of $31.73. Wherever you decide to buy it, you will be getting a surprisingly robust little camera at a really affordable price that we feel is well worth it.