A security system can be extremely effective in preventing crimes and in-home emergencies. Some are difficult to place, some must be charged regularly, and others necessitate a monthly charge. It may be difficult to find a security system that offers the best value for money.
Smart outdoor security cameras allow you to see what’s going on outside your home without leaving your seat, but many models require a hub and wiring, making them somewhat stressful to install. You don’t have to struggle to choose a security camera if you know what you need.
About the Brand
Arlo is an award-winning industry pioneer who is changing how people experience the connected lifestyle. The company’s cloud-based platform gives users visibility, insight, and a powerful way to protect and connect with the people and things that matter most in real-time.
Having been founded in 2014, Arlo has been making high-quality cameras for nearly a decade. They have made a name for themselves in the security industry thanks to their DIY-friendly ethos, durable, well-designed cameras, and smart approach to protecting customers’ property and families.
The cameras not only look smart, but they also work smart. Arlo wireless security cameras have consistently outperformed the competition in terms of equipment design, functionality, value, and ease of use.
Arlo has a customer base of more than 4 million users who stand by their products and love the look, feel, and power of Arlo cameras. It is all about style, and their accessories are no exception. Magnetic wall mounts enhance the user-installation experience by allowing you to swivel and tilt the camera body around to get the best viewing angle.
The Arlo Pro 5 wireless security cameras, on the other hand, are high-resolution, weather-resistant security cameras that not only capture motion-triggered video but also shine a bright light on whatever is moving around on your property.
The Arlo Pro 5S 2K is a high-performance security camera with Wi-Fi built-in. When not in use, the device operates on the lowest power band to extend battery life and reduce noise. Both indoor and outdoor security cameras send live footage of your home directly to your phone.
“Pro 5S is hands down the most secure and reliable camera Arlo has engineered to date,” said Tim Johnston, SVP of Product at Arlo, “Integrating three wireless technologies into one extremely compact form factor ensures users are better equipped to protect their everything. The redesigned, intuitive Arlo Secure App enhances the overall Pro 5S experience by providing frictionless access to the most comprehensive monitoring tools available.”
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi Support: Automatically connect to the strongest network available between 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi for the strongest possible connection
- SecureLink Connection: Pair with Arlo Home Security System through Arlo SecureLink for continuous connectivity during internet and power outages, stronger encryption and longer range and battery life
- Increased Battery Life: Up to 30% longer battery life than the Pro 4. Users gain access to an all-new low-power mode to charge their camera less often and can connect the camera to Arlo SecureLink-enabled devices to further conserve battery life.
- 2K Video with HDR: High-performance lenses ensure crystal-clear detail in every picture
- 160-Degree Viewing Angle: Keep an eye on what matters most with a wider field of view
- Integrated Spotlight: Light up the night and ward off unwelcome guests
- Built-In Smart Siren: Trigger the siren remotely or automatically during an event
- Colour Night Vision: See videos in color rather than traditional black and white
- Two-Way Audio: Listen and speak to visitors with crystal clear, full-duplex audio that reduces wind and noise
- Wire-Free and Weather-Resistant: Easily install indoors or outdoors
- Magnetic Connections: Easily add on accessories such as a solar panel charger, waterproof outdoor charging cable, and XL capacity battery/housing
- Platform Compatibility: Works with Amazon Alexa4, Google Assistant, and IFTTT for easy interaction, automation, and control
The Arlo Pro 5 security cameras are available in either all black or black and white. They are nice and small, so they won’t be an eyesore wherever you put them. They are also completely wireless, so no finicky setup is required.
These cameras come with everything you need to get started. A wall mount, rechargeable battery, magnetic charging cable, wall mount screw kit, quick start guide, and an Arlo monitoring decal are included. The camera can be mounted almost anywhere, including an outside wall of your home, because it is both UV and weather-resistant, and it has a motion-activated spotlight to illuminate dark spots at night.
Installation & Set Up
Follow these simple steps to install and set up your Arlo pro 5 wireless security cameras.
- To get started, download the Arlo smartphone app, which is available for both iOS and Android.
- Remove the lens and insert the rechargeable battery,
- Press the button on the device’s underside, then plug in the camera using the included magnetic charging cable.
- Wait for the LED light to flash blue before selecting Add New Device.
- Then choose the camera model.
- If you’re plugging the camera into a wall outlet, measure the length of the cord required. To prevent tampering, use an outdoor outlet with a weatherproof box that is locked. You can also run the cable through your garage.
- Now that you have this enter your Wi-Fi password, and then name the device. The app configures the rest of the technology for you; the entire process takes about 5 minutes.
- Now it’s time to put some holes in the wall. Great! First, you’ll want to affix the camera’s wall plate to your wall. You may need to drill pilot holes for wall anchors, but otherwise, screw the mount into the wood and attach your camera to the mount.
- Then check the video stream with your app and adjust its position.
- Use cable clips to secure the cable to your exterior wall as needed.
- Now Secure the adapter plate to the wall as you did with the camera mount. As you move along the cord, make sure you mount your camera’s power adapter above snow and flood levels.
- You may consider concealing the cord and cable clips with paint to match your house. Remember, you can’t paint your adapter box or the camera and cord connections.
- Arlo cameras rely solely on motion detection to determine when to begin recording a video clip. Using the Arlo app, you can test its effectiveness and adjust its sensitivity. Because the sensitivity setting isn’t universal, you’ll need to adjust your arming modes.
- Arming an Arlo camera instructs it to begin sending notifications and recording video clips. It’s also an excellent way to safeguard your privacy. We recommend that you arm your camera whenever you leave the house or go to bed.
However, if you have trouble with installation, we recommend that you call a trusted technician to help with installation.
Image Quality / Performance
Arlo wireless camera is powerful, with a wire-free setup that is simple to install. 2K HDR video, color night vision, 12x zoom, and a 160° field of view are among the cutting-edge features. Arlo Pro 5S 2K offers significant user advantages over competing security devices. Users will notice battery life improvements because the Pro 5S operates on the lowest power band in sleep mode.
Additionally, tri-band connectivity provides a Wi-Fi range and mitigates RF interference and active jamming attempts while maximizing picture quality. Even during power and internet outages, the Pro 5S seamlessly pairs with other SecureLink devices to provide continuous security and connectivity.
How do wireless security cameras work?
Your camera is wire-free and battery-powered. When your Arlo camera detects motion, it sends video to your Arlo account in the cloud via a Wi-Fi connection to the Arlo base station.
How long do batteries last in wireless security cameras?
With use, Arlo wire-free camera batteries last about 3-6 months. Depending on mobile signal strength, Arlo Go camera batteries last about 2-3 months with average use.
Are Arlo security cameras easy to install?
Yes. Remove everything from the box, connect the base station to power and LAN, download the app or log in online, SYNC the cameras, and you’re ready to go. The mobile app is simple to use.
Are wifi cameras any good?
Yes. Wi-Fi cameras, also referred to as wireless security cameras are less intrusive to your home than wired security cameras, making installation and setup easier and faster. There is no need to drill through the walls or ceilings.
Can security cameras see in the dark?
Yes. When the infrared LEDs are on Arlo cameras, an array of red dots appears around the lenses. The red light indicates that the infrared LEDs are on. These LEDs help the night vision capabilities.
What is High Dynamic Range (HDR)?
High Dynamic Range (HDR) is a software technique for adjusting high-contrast video or photo images with bright highlight and deep shadow areas. Some images with bright areas may appear washed out without HDR, while dark areas may appear black and devoid of detail.
Does the Arlo 5 pro come with an app?
Yes. The Arlo 5 Pro Secure App include an all-new, highly intuitive interface that streamlines access to critical tools such as Emergency Response.
What security systems work with Arlo?
Arlo works with most security system. They include:
- Amazon Alexa. All Arlo devices are compatible.
- Apple’s HomeKit. Arlo Ultra, Pro 3, Pro 2, Pro, and Baby cameras are compatible.
- Google Assistant. All Arlo cameras and the Security Light are compatible. Google Assistant application?
- If this happens, then that happens (IFTTT). All Arlo cameras and the Security Light are compatible.
- SmartThings from Samsung. Arlo Pro 2, Pro, Q Plus, Q, Wire-Free, Go, and Baby are all compatible.
Does Arlo require a subscription?
The answer is yes. With the Basic (free) plan, you can still monitor your devices via the Arlo app, receive customized notifications, tune into live camera feeds, and store footage locally via a micro-SD card.
However, Arlo Smart provides access to features that Arlo Basic does not, such as 30-day video history and advanced object detection. If you recall, that is the ability to distinguish between moving objects in the Camera’s view and alert you instantly.
What is Arlo secure?
Arlo Secure plans enhance your security experience by providing intelligent alerts and tools that allow you to act quickly in an emergency from anywhere. You can record up to 4K video and receive detailed alerts when your camera detects a person, vehicle, animal, or package.
Does Arlo Pro 5 include an Arlo secure trial?
Yes. And has the following benefits:
- Rolling 30-day cloud recording up to 2K video resolution. Arlo Ultra 2 comes with an Arlo Secure Plus trial with cloud recording up to 4K resolution.
- Person, Vehicle, Animal, and Package Detection
- Smoke and CO detection
- Cloud activity zones
- Notification Filtering
- Rich notifications with preview images and live streaming from your phone’s lock screen
- Emergency Response service that connects you to emergency responders near your home, no matter where you call from (US only)
Note: The trial allows streaming and recording in the maximum resolution of your Arlo camera.
Conclusion & Where to buy Arlo Cameras
The powerful Arlo Pro 5S 2K protects your home. With 2K HDR video, 12x zoom, and color night vision, cutting-edge clarity captures every detail. Its dual-band automatically connects to the network. Combine with the Arlo Home Security System to extend battery life and stay connected when power is out.
This security camera is now available for pre-order at Arlo.com and Best Buy, with additional national retailers expected to follow soon.