When browsing the internet, you are opening yourself up to all kinds of malware, virus, and other attacks. These can hit you no matter what you’re doing and how careful you are, so it doesn’t hurt to have extra precautions in place.
One way to do this is to have a quality antivirus program to protect you. When using a Mac, however, it can sometimes be tricky to find one that is tailored to this kind of machine. In this review, we will be covering Intego Antivirus for Mac. This is a quality antivirus that can be used to help protect yourself against malware and other threats.
We will go over some of the key features, benefits, and things you need to know about this antivirus software to help you determine whether it’s a good fit for you.
- Intego is a comprehensive antivirus that has versions for Windows and Mac that covers a wide range of protections.
- It’s important to have some kind of antivirus protection, as threats online can be sneaky and unexpected.
- Intego has been around for many years and has become a trusted name in antivirus software.
- We will cover some of the main features, drawbacks, and benefits of this antivirus software.
- There are three tiers, and the more expensive ones will be a good fit for some people, whereas some may be set with the lowest tier.
Overview Of Intego Antivirus Software For Mac
At its core, Intego Antivirus provides advanced protection against many of the major threats posed whenever you’re online. There are three tiers, each of which gives slightly more advanced protection the higher you go, but even the lowest tier provides most of the basic functions you could want.
We will go over the details of these tiers in greater detail later, but we can definitively say that any tier you choose will be a good choice that will increase your protection dramatically. There is a version of Intego for Windows, but this review will be focused on the Mac version specifically.
We have previously covered ways you can keep your home and family safe using cybersecurity for a more in-depth look at how antivirus software fits in.
For now, let’s take a deeper look at Intego and what it offers you.
Importance Of Protecting Your Mac With Antivirus Software
Even if you’re very careful, you’re always susceptible to viruses and malware. They can be nestled within the code of a seemingly trustworthy file, or they can be contained within the link of an email that you click without thinking.
Having antivirus software is like having someone watching your back at all times. It will help to block malicious software and eliminate many other kinds of threats. However, not all antivirus programs are created equally, so it’s important to pick a quality option like Intego to keep most of your bases covered.
For more information on this subject, you can check out our previous article on cybersecurity for beginners.
Intego Antivirus Review
Now, let’s take a closer look at Intego, what it offers, and if it’s right for you as a Mac user.
About The Brand
Intego was founded way back in 1997, and they have been growing and operating ever since. The brand started in Paris, France, but has since expanded to areas around the world. In this time, the company has gained a reputation of being a really solid, reliable option for antivirus.
The fact that they’ve been around for over two decades is a testament to their company, and it shows that they’ve stood the test of time. It’s always reassuring to buy from a company that has a long, proven track record, and that is certainly the case here.
Key Security Features And Benefits
Now, let’s take a look at some of the main features that are offered with this antivirus. Some of these features will be offered only in the higher tiers, but you can find more information on this in a later category in this review.
- Malware and Virus Protection.Antego protects Mac and Windows machines from all variants of malware and viruses.
- Easy To Set UpThe software has been designed with ease of use in mind, and it is easy to set up and manage.
- Automatic and Scheduled ScanningDepending on your preference, the antivirus can be set to scan automatically or when you schedule it.
- NetBarrierTwo-way firewall protection is offered against unknown apps and programs.
- Mac Washing MachineThis is the first feature that is not offered on all tiers, and this allows you to clean unnecessary or duplicate files to make your device more efficient.
- Content BarrierAnother tier-specific function, this one allows you to set content restrictions for children and other users.
- Personal BackupThis allows you to back up personal files such as photos and videos.
- Intego Privacy Protection VPNThis final feature is tied to the highest tier, and it allows you to use a VPN for additional protection.
For more information on VPNs, you can read our overview on whether VPNs are worth it.
Types Of Virus Protection
There are various types of virus protection offered with Intego. On the product page, Intego states that the software can protect against all kinds of viruses and malware. There is also advanced protection against spyware, phishing, and ransomware. Basically, you’re protected against all major threats that you could be exposed to online.
That’s not to say it’s impervious to all threats, but you should be well covered in most instances.
Ease Of Use And Setup
This software has been designed with ease of use and simple setup in mind. Once you have chosen your package and downloaded the installer, you will be guided through the whole process of setting it up. You can then control and monitor the program easily from your Mac.
It’s all intuitive and easy, and you don’t have to worry about mastering advanced features or settings.
Pricing And Packages
When signing up to Intego, you will have three options available. These are outlined on this page, but basically with each higher tier, you will have more features available.
Mac Security X9
The lowest tier is Mac Security X9. This tier is $39 per year for one Mac. With this tier, you will have all features except for:
- Mac washing machine
- Personal Backup
- Intego Privacy VPN
Mac Premium Bundle X9
Next, you have the Mac Premium Bundle X9, which is the middle tier. This one is $69.99 per year. This tier does feature all but one of the four we just listed. The only feature not included is the Intego Privacy VPN.
Mac Premium Bundle+VPN
If you want access to the VPN, you will need to sign up for the Mac Premium Bundle+VPN for $89.99 per year.
Customer Service And Support
If you run into any issues with your profile or the Intego software in general, you can find comprehensive help guides on this page. You will also be able to contact customer service here for more specialized support if you can’t solve your issue.
Pros And Cons
- Easy To Use – The easy setup and operation of the software is a huge plus.
- Options – The different tiers allow you to make sure you’re not paying for features you won’t need.
- Comprehensive – The antivirus software protects you against a wide array of internet threats.
- Fair Pricing – We feel that the tiers are priced quite fairly considering all the features you’re getting.
- Protection Can Be Limited – Intego isn’t as thorough as some other antivirus software at protecting against website malware.
- Limited Customer Service – While the customer service options are decent, we would have liked a few more options for contacting a representative.
Which Intego Security Solution Is Right For Me?
Overall, you’re well covered no matter which tier you go for. The lowest tier would be fine for people who only casually use the internet.
However, we would recommend going for at least the middle Mac Premium X9 bundle, as you will have wider coverage and features. This is the tier we would suggest for most people who use the internet a reasonable amount.
The Mac Premium Bundle+ VPN is definitely worthwhile if you want more anonymity and internet safety, but it’s typically better for advanced internet users.
Final Thoughts On Intego Antivirus Software For Mac
Choosing antivirus software for your Mac can be a real headache, as you never know if you’re getting something that will actually do the job. Luckily, we can definitively say that Intego is an excellent option for anyone wanting to protect themselves online while using their Mac.
There are several tiers to choose from so that you can tailor your choice to your situation, and most internet users should be more than happy with the features and benefits that are available. To summarize, while it’s not a perfect piece of software, it’s still an impressive offering that’s really easy to recommend.
Does Intego Slow Down Mac?
Intego should not cause a noticeable slowdown on your Mac.
Does Intego Make Antivirus Software For Windows?
There is a variant that will work for Windows. This version can be found on this page for more information.
How Secure Is A Mac Computer?
Macs have decent built-in security features that make them relatively secure, but extra security is always recommended regardless.
Do Macs Need Antivirus?
Macs can function without antivirus, but using antivirus software is generally recommended regardless.
Do I Need a Firewall On Mac?
Firewall protection is highly recommended on Mac.
Do VPNs Prevent Viruses?
While VPNs can protect you in other ways, they don’t directly protect you from viruses.
Is Intego Legit?
Intego is an established and respected antivirus provider that has definitely proved its legitimacy in its long history.