What Is Batten's Best Of List?
This “Best Of” list is a quick way for you to view our top-ranked home security and safety products. If we had to pick one or two products from every home security sub-category, these would be our favorites. They each have great utility, features, and easy functionality. Of course, depending on your unique needs, we recommend you also view each category page to ensure you select the best product for you and your family.
Abode: iota DIY Security System
What we love
- A quick and easy DIY system that can be set up in under 30 minutes.
- The only company that offers on-demand monitoring, which allows you to turn on professional monitoring for just 3–5 days while you’re traveling.
- Monitoring starts at $8.33 a month with no contracts, which is well priced compared to the competition.
- People living in smaller homes.
- Renters that expect to move as the design enables very easy relocation.
Its DIY package was hands down the easiest of all the systems we tested. Their great mobile app, flexible monitoring options, and system designed to be relocated make it our favorite system.
- Professional monitoring is optional and with no term commitments
- Hub with a built-in camera, motion sensor, and siren
- 1 additional motion sensor
- 1 Mini door/window sensors
- 1 key fob
Things to be aware of
- The initial base system has a higher price than competitors, but its professional monitoring options are very affordable.
“Abode is the ideal smart security solution for anyone who wants to save some money by installing it themselves and avoid committing to a hefty subscription.”
Aug 25, 2021
SimpliSafe: The Essentials kit
WHAT WE LOVE
- You can set up the system in minutes without any tools or drilling.
- It offers flexible, no-commitment professional or self-monitoring plans.
- It's easily customizable.
- The camera's motion sensors aren't triggered by pets.
- Homeowners with multiple door entry points looking for easy DIY installation.
- Professional monitoring for $28 per month
- Self-monitoring for $9.99 per month
- No contracts required
- 60-day money-back guarantee
Eufy: Wireless 2k Video Doorbell
Why We Recommend It
- Eufy is our favorite doorbell camera for its picture quality, battery life, mobile app UX, and customizable features.
- No monthly subscription plan is needed to enjoy all its features.
- Battery operated, meaning no hard-wiring is required.
- Exceptional, best-in-class battery life.
Things to be aware of
- You'll need to connect the small hub to your wifi router.
- Parents and homeowners of all types looking for a great view of the activity outside their front door.
- Set custom zones so you only get alerts when a specific area is triggered
- Enhanced AI human detection to prevent dogs from triggering alerts
- Record videos and photos to capture specific moments while you are away
- One charge provides half a year’s worth of battery life
- No hardwiring required
“If you don’t like the idea of a monthly fee, or you have privacy concerns about your video being stored in the cloud, then Eufy’s 2K Video Doorbell could be what you’re looking for.”
Marc h 3, 2021
Stalwart Safe Box
What we loved
- The compact size of the Stalwart safe allows you to protect your small valuables discreetly.
- People with small valuables like jewelry or cash.